
Ever since I read the book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, I've dreampt of the day I would be able to name a pet "Miss Fancy." I'm not exactly sure why this name appealed to me so very much. Actually, I really can't remember what the animal in FGT that had this name was. Maybe it was a person in the story? Maybe I should re-read the book to find out? It was a very good book and the film version is one of my favorite movies. Okay now I'm just getting off-topic!
My point is that, when I decided that I needed a Betta fish for my dorm room last year, I just knew i needed to name it Miss Fancy. I figured that, even if it is a completely ridiculous name, at least it is only the name of a fish. And it really didn't matter to me that it is a fact that only male Betta fish are sold (at least where I bought mine), I was absolutely determined to name this fish Miss Fancy.
So when I went to pick out which fish I wanted, and I saw a bright pink and purple Betta fish staring up at me, I knew for certain that that was my Miss Fancy. I loved my little transgendered fish from the moment I some him/her.
From then on, Miss Fancy kept me company (I realize that sounds strange, but living alone at college can get quite lonely). I seriously believe Miss Fancy knew that I loved her dearly, because whenever I would say hello to her when I came back from class, the store, etc., she would swim right to the front of her bowl and look right at me as if to say "hello" back.
Wayne also fell in love with Miss Fancy, even calling her "our son" (yes, I do realize how awkward that sounded). So really, Miss Fancy was our first pet. I think that's what made Miss Fancy so special. She was something living that we could call ours, which is, I believe, what every couple longs for.
So Sunday, when I came back to my dorm from staying at home over the weekend, I was expecting to be greeted by my sweet little Miss Fancy, I was very concerned when I saw her laying lifeless at the bottom of her bowl. Wayne did a very good job of comforting me even though he was just as upset as I was.
*I know the next few statements are going to really make me sound like a wacko, but I promise I'm not!
We had a funeral for Miss Fancy. Wayne played Rufus Wainwright's Hallelujah, which Wayne said he was sure our son would have liked.
Wayne says we'll pick out a new Betta fish in a couple weeks when he comes to visit, which I think is a fantastic idea.
Although there may be more Betta fish in our future, and in our future-children's futures, there will no more Miss Fancy's. But she will forever be a special part of our past, our first pet. Our first "son."
We'll miss you dearly, Miss Fancy!
P.S. You can see a video of Miss fancy here.
1 comment:
i love this one baby its very good and i cant wait to pick out a new beta fish even though it will never replace our son it will be loved just as much and we will raise it as our own i love you so so much baby mwah
Post a Comment